Welcome...

After many false starts, it is now time to get stage-ready again. Follow the highs, lows, frustrations, successes and yes, quite possibly some crazy along the way...

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Wow! 2 Days left!!

I am completely overwhelmed with emotion this morning.  As I left the gym, having officially completed my last workout of this 20 week competition prep, I actually began to tear up!  It is crazy when you work so hard for so long and then realize that all of the work is done.  138 days ago, I set off on this journey, unsure of whether or not I would be successful.  I have been faced with challenges that I did not anticipate - including an injury that affected my workouts for 8 weeks.  And so just knowing that I have made it, and I'm a little over 48 hours away from getting up on that stage again is such a good feeling.  

It's a little bittersweet for me this time around though.  I will be missing a key person this weekend - my best friend, training partner and usually my back-stage support person.  Thanks to technology, Bill has been able to see my progress and give me words of encouragement along the way - so he's kind of been along for the ride - But he's had the benefit of not having to be here to deal with my moods!!  

Which leads me to the other reason why I am so overwhelmed with emotion.  I am so blessed to be surrounded by an amazing network of support in the form of family, friends, clients and class participants.  I could not begin to list all of the people who have gone out of their way to lend support, offer help, or just go out of their way to send words of encouragement my way - but every single on of you has made an impact on me during this process.  The excitement that my class participants have shown each week to hear about my progress and their patience with my gradually declining energy levels in classes has been a constant source of positive energy for me during this 20 weeks, and I will hear some of your voices in my head as I take the stage this weekend.
 
 My clients have been incredibly tolerant of my moods, my energy levels and my constant chatter (ok, maybe sometimes whining) about being hungry, tired, frustrated with the scale, etc.  I have received gifts that I never anticipated, and that were incredibly thoughtful and generous!  I know that a few of you can't wait for me to be "back to normal" - and I appreciate you sticking it out with me!!

Most surprising has been the number of people (mostly on facebook or at the Y) who have stopped to say good luck or ask me how it's going.  People that I didn't even realize knew what I was up to have stopped to wish me luck and it's been amazing!  

On a side note, it's also been a little weird.  People seem to say whatever is on their mind to me.  And when I'm in the gym, it's almost always worse.  The best example came earlier this week when a "regular" at the gym was talking to me and, while looking directly at the spot where my boobs used to be, asked if my "lack of 'female parts' (with air quotes) would count against me on stage?"  Wow!  Amazingly, I found myself explaining the difference between figure and bodybuilding and getting into a conversation about what judges look for.  What I was thinking was, "well, I don't think we've found a way to build boobs in the gym, so I don't think that falls under the bodybuilding category...your calves, on the other hand, would!".  Ah, it's never a dull moment in the gym...but I digress.  

Finally, for the amazing gift of my 3 closest friends, who are putting aside their lives and leaving their families for the weekend to travel to the show with me, there are no words to express my gratitude.  I knew when I decided to prep for this show, that Bill would be gone, and the idea of traveling so far away from home for a show by myself was not the happiest of scenarios.  But I never imagined that the 3 of you would be willing to come with me.  I know that you have no idea what you have gotten yourselves into - and I can only say that Saturday will be a new experience for the 4 of us to share!!  Rachel, Denise and Nancy:  I love you guys.  And I am so excited to share this weekend with you!   

Lots of packing still left to do - so it's time for me to wrap it up.  Looking forward to lots of steak and sweet potatoes in the next 48 hours.  You may not want to approach me if I am eating - especially if my eyes are closed and I'm making noise!  Til next time...thanks for reading, and keep workin' it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment